Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Color

I'm not afraid of color. I have red accent walls in most of the main living areas, my bathroom is green, bedroom is a slate blue, playroom is multicolored, and I just did an office in deep purple and teal. Anyone who says that rooms need to coordinate is crazy. Often times, they do coordinate because you stick with colors you love, which is fine. Adding pops of color in smaller ways like pillows or curtains is great for people who are still leery of a very bold statement like red or purple walls, and that's okay too. You have to know you love the color before you put the time into painting. My best advice would be to choose some knick-nack type things in the color you love and see if you still love them after a while. Before you paint your walls, test out the color in the space because sunlight makes a huge difference. On sunny days, the air in your space will be orange, and on cloudy days, it will be blue. Yes, the air color. I know it seems silly, but think about pictures you have taken. They are either blue or orange if taken during the day. Trust me on this. This will affect the colors you choose. Another huge word of advice is to stick to a color scheme. Even I don't like a multitude of colors in one room (except for the playroom) because it can be too busy and you lose appreciation of your true loved colors. The best way is to have three main colors. Use one 60% in the room the next 30% and the accent color should be 10%. This will make the room look like it happened on purpose and not all mashed together.

No comments:

Post a Comment