Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Being handy

I did my first DIY project when I was 16 with my dad.  He and I built and very intricate shelf that had a bunch of different size cubbies that went all different directions.  It was super cool and I loved that I made it myself.  Nothing surpasses that feeling to me, even still today.  I love standing back and knowing that yep, I made that.  Plus, it's always fun to show off your projects.  However, not everyone has a carpenter dad who taught them everything.  As long as you feel comfortable using power tools, which anyone can get used to, you can build anything!  Start with a small project, like shelves in a closet or an outdoor table and go to your local home improvement store. I always recommend Lowe's, they have the staffing to actually be able to help customers.  Once you decide on something to built or redo, go the store and ask for help from someone who knows how to do it.  If you are building shelves, the hardware department associates can give you tips on how to do it. The paint department can help you how much to refinish something.  Like I said, not everyone has someone in their family that is naturally handy, so if not, go ask someone!  If you want to be a DIYer, you can be, you just have to start.  You will soon find that after a half a dozen small project how much knowledge you will have.  You will learn so much from talking with professionals and doing things yourself and the end result is the ultimate reward.  Just do it yourself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment